Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Book Review: Project Nemesis, by Jeremy Robinson

This is the second book I've read by Jeremy Robinson, and it was another good read!  I had previously read Island 731, and it was a rapid read - it took around 50 pages or so for the story to really get moving.  So, I read Island 731 first, but it was published second.  It is kind of a prequel to Project Nemesis, includes a character who is mentioned in Project Nemesis, who I believe makes an appearance in a later Kaiju thriller - but Island 731 itself is not included as part of the Nemesis/Kaiju Saga, and can successfully stand on its own.  Whew!

All right, now that the prologue of this review is finished...Project Nemesis is a "Kaiju" novel.  "Kaiju" is Japanese for "strange beast", and is typically associated with Japanese movie monsters like Godzilla, Gamera, Mothra, etc., and was more recently popularized by Guillermo del Toro's 2013 movie Pacific Rim, which I have not seen, but is now on my list of films to watch, even though it didn't get superb ratings.  The word "Kaiju" does appear in Island 731 (after all, there are some strange beasts in it), but giant Godzilla-like monsters are reserved for the Nemesis saga.

I will say, it was fun to revisit some fond memories of my youth.  Like Mr. Robinson, I spent many Saturday afternoons watching Creature Double Feature on WLVI Channel 56 in the Boston area, and I enjoyed many of the Godzilla movies back then.  I still remember the suspense of watching the evolving form of Hedorah in Godzilla vs. Hedorah (vs. The Smog Monster in the USA), and wondering what its final form would be.  I remember this so well because of the great disappointment I felt when our watching of the film was interrupted for us to go home and we missed the last 15 - 20 minutes of the movie, only to see Godzilla walking off into the distance when we returned home.  I think it was several years before I finally got to see the ending.

Anyway, Project Nemesis has a start that is similar to Island 731 - we get a glimpse into the past to view two events that ultimately lead to the creation of Nemesis later in the story, and some time is spent setting the scene for this.  But, once things start going downhill, they keep heading in that direction, and as is typical for this type of story you are left wondering how they could possibly defeat this monster.

With regard to the Nemesis creature, I liked that it didn't have any traditional "Kaiju" attacks - nothing like Godzilla's Atomic Breath, or Monster Zero's lightning, or any other type of beam attacks, but eventually we learn that Nemesis does have something pretty devastating in the form of bright orange areas, though it wasn't what I would have expected.

The origin of the monster is fairly original.  Although, unless I'm mistaken, I believe I sense the influence of the film Frankenstein Conquers the World, as well as Godzilla vs. Hedorah (the evolving form of the monster).  There may well be other influences, but these are the two that really stood out for me.

I also really liked the fact that the main protagonist, Jon Hudson, feels that his job is ultimately a joke - after all, he spends his days investigating Sasquatch sightings that never really amount to anything.  Of course, once Nemesis arrives on the scene, he fights for his jurisdiction with pride.  The cast of supporting characters are also fun.

As I write this, I'm already halfway through the sequel, Project Maigo, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.  I've also added a few other of Mr. Robinson's books to my current reading list and I'm looking forward to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment