Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Book Review: The Dark Lord Bert, by Chris Fox

The title of this book caught my interest immediately.  After reading the first sentence of the book description, "How does a 1-hit-point goblin become the Dark Lord", I was intrigued further.  I didn't even bother reading the rest of the description (well, I eventually did AFTER I started the book).  After seeing this sentence, I thought that this story would be similar to Goblin Quest (great book BTW - you can find my review here).  It is, kind of.  Within the first two chapters I was having a great time.  The names of the characters, and some of their deities, are funny.  I can mention them here, as they already appear in the book description:  Crotchshot (name comes from his cursed weapon), Brakestuff, and the deity Knowsbest.  After reading chapter two, I felt this story is likely going to have a lot in common with The Guardians of the Flame series by Joel Rosenberg (reference here).  Of course, if this were the case, this had me wondering:  what would this make Bert?  After all, part of the story is told from his perspective.  Verrrryyy interesting.  I thought Bert's identity might be alluded to in the next few chapters, but even by the end of the story there are no additional clues.  Perhaps he's just an NPC?

What does a 1-hit-point goblin look like?  Well, at one point he considers a chicken to almost, but not quite, large enough to be his mount.  Much smaller than I was expecting.  I'm used to goblins being much larger, thanks to the Rankin & Bass production of The Hobbit back in 1977 - the goblins are much larger than dwarves and hobbits!  While I did play Dungeons and Dragons as a teenager, I don't think I paid much attention to how big most monsters were, so perhaps this size is accurate?

This is an interesting world, and the concept is definitely a mixture of other ideas - it's not similar to any one thing that I've read before.  There are elements of Guardians of the Flame, just not as much as I thought.  The main elements that are in common are role-playing, alighnment fulfillment, and party interactions.  Also, it certainly feels like there are elements of Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline - there are certainly references to Dungeons and Dragons, Star Trek and Star Wars, in addition to references to other fantasy works - Lord of the Rings most prominently.  There may also be elements of Neal Stephenson's REAMDE (not sure; I haven't read that one, but I have a vague idea what it is about).  Commonalities with these last three are interesting, as these are all science fiction novels.

Anyway, this was a fun, easy read, and you really find yourself rooting for Bert.  I'm definitely interested in hearing more about how this world works, as there is definitely an immersive role playing element to this story which is only hinted at.  Things seem setup for a sequel - one of the characters even mentions that this is likely.

If you like Dungeons and Dragons, you'll probably enjoy this one.

As always, I'm interested in hearing from my readers.  Have you read this book?  Are there similar works that you enjoy?  Please leave a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment